** UPDATE: The 15%-off deal has expired. Watch the blog for updated offers at a later date. -KR **
“Hey Kevn.. what does the TechNet Subscription have to do with the Cloud?”
Where do you think it comes from? In all seriousness, though… the TechNet Subscription is an excellent way to get started with Microsoft solutions that are the foundation for your private cloud. Keep reading for all the details…
Whenever I present a live TechNet Event, I ask my audience to raise their hands if they are a TechNet subscriber. Usually about 1/2 to 2/3 of the audience raises their hand. Considering that this is typically a Microsoft-friendly audience, I’m a little shocked that there aren’t more hands going up. The TechNet Subscription is such a great resource for IT Pros, for these reasons:
- Downloadable (or delivered, if you subscribe to the disks-delivered-to-you-monthly subscription), full-version software licensed for evaluation purposes; which includes Microsoft operating systems, servers, and Office System software; all the software that IT Pros care about. Yes, these are for evaluation, testing, and training only; but they don’t time-out. You can install these into a training lab, test lab, or use Windows Virtual PC or Hyper-V, or even your own downloaded evaluation copy of the latest beta or CTP or Release Candidate software! Use it to build a virtually networked playground, and play with (er.. “evaluate”, if your boss is watching) all the latest and greatest tools and technologies.
- You get early access to beta versions and release candidates of new Microsoft products.
- A Technical Information Library containing the articles, security updates, service packs, utilities and more – all in one convenient location.
- Access to Online Concierge Chat service for live help from a Microsoft Online Assistant – to help you get the most out of your subscription.
- Two (2) technical support incidents and a 20% discount on additional phone support incidents you purchase. (HINT: the savings here alone pays for the subscription cost!)
- Free eLearning courses to keep your skills up to date. Just for TechNet Subscribers. (Good idea to watch the TechNet Plus Blog for details)
- Unlimited Managed Newsgroup Support. Post your technical questions in over 100 public newsgroups and receive a response from an expert by next business day. It’s like another free avenue into direct technical support from Microsoft!
For all of those reasons (Heck, for any ONE of those reasons), a TechNet Plus subscription is worth the yearly investment.
“Cool, Kevin. Do you have any promotions to help me save some $$?”
Yes indeed. For new “TechNet Subscription Professional” subscriptions, from now through May 13, 2011, you save 15% off the price of the subscription. What was regularly $349.00 is now $296.65
“Is this worldwide, or U.S. only, or what?”
This is for U.S. residents only.
“Why new subscriptions only? Why not a discount renewals?”
Renewals are already automatically discounted, even more than you get with this code. Besides.. we’re honestly trying to promote TechNet Subscriptions to those who haven’t yet benefited from it. We’re pretty confident that if you try it, you’ll see enough value in it to renew your subscription.
Then GOTO the TechNet Subscription Center (CLICK HERE), and use the code to get your savings.
“If you weren’t a Microsoft employee, Kevin, would you buy this for yourself?”
Without hesitation, YES. I use the software I download so much; for personal education as well as testing, $296.65 is a small price to pay for the value I receive. Absolutely.
A great summary of the subscription benefits: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/subscriptions/bb892759.aspx